Friday, July 25, 2008

My Ranch Recipe....

By popular request.... :)

Homemade Ranch Dressing

1 cup mayo (the real thing, not miracle whip, low fat, etc)
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. MSG (Accent -- this concerns some folks, and it can be omitted)
1/4 tsp. garlic/herb mix or just garlic powder (I just happen to have a humongous bottle of garlic with herbs from Costco)
1/4 tsp. onion powder (I prefer to use a tbsp. dried onions, also from a humongous bottle from Costco!)
1/2 tsp. dillweed

Mix all with a whisk in large mixing bowl, and store in fridge. (If you use onion powder, you could use it right away, but the dried onions need a couple hours to reconstitute which also serves to thicken the dressing just slightly).

Now, the above recipe is my own variation of a pile of recipes I collected off the internet... And I never make a batch this small!!

I get a 32 ounce jar of mayonaise, and a quart of buttermilk, and adjust all of the spices up accordingly (x 4). And for the dillweed, I absolutely REFUSE to pay the $7.00 a bottle pricetag on the little bottle in the spice aisle at the grocery store here. So, I went to Henry's, a market here that sells spices in the bulk aisle. I got a plastic bag and put a huge scoop of dried dillweed in it, for about a buck. I refilled the store-bought brand-name bottle three times from it!

Another alternative, before I found the bulk spices, was to purchase fresh dill in the produce department. A container of fresh dill cost me about $2.00 and when dehydrated in my dehydrator, and then crushed, nearly refilled the brand-name spice bottle.

I make so much of this stuff it's not funny! It keeps a long time. I saved my store-bought dressing bottles, and use a bottle brush to wash them, etc... soaked off the labels and then filled them with my own version of Ranch!

I am sure that you could make a reduced fat version of this easily enough, but this version is lower carb and that is helpful to me. I don't eat huge quantities of it at any one time, but I do use it pretty often! I started making it when Patrick was living with us, because there was never a time that boy filled a plate at our house that he didn't also plop a puddle of ranch onto it! He ate Ranch with EVERYTHING. Even with his Thanksgiving dinner plate!! I made this and he loved it! I figured that was high praise from someone who included Ranch Dressing as a food group in his eating plan!

Enjoy!! :)

2 comments:

Karene said...

I have actually been lucky enough to taste this WONDERFUL ranch dressing !!! You continue to astonish me, my friend, with your homemade salad dressing, soups, soaps, etc......One of these days you'll be making your own FABRIC too...or taking muslin and dyeing it yourself...I know you !!! Would love to have some ranch dressing on some fresh homegrown sliced tomatoes too.....ha,ha,ha...(ducks under desk) !!!

Hugs,
Karene

Anonymous said...

Thanks much!! I hope to make this very soon - it looks like it will be wonderful! Love, Jackie