Thursday, February 14, 2008

Be Mine, Valentine!

My blog has been a dud lately, mostly because my days have been filled with proofing transcription, and this..............


































And I am pretty sick of the kitchen rehab project. But since I turned on the faucet at the sink a few days ago and was rewarded for my diligence in doing dishes by a fine, thin spray of water that arced directly, and with great precision, into my left eye.......and since my cabinet under the sink now holds only a roasting pan to catch leaking water from any number of hoses located in that area.....

I need to finish this refinishing gig. Soon.

Then I can seriously pick out the appliances, countertop and sink.....and schedule the Knights with Shining Armor to come and install them! I'm contemplating scheduling a demolishing party, for the Saturday before they come to begin installation on Monday....

I'm kind of looking forward to that. Me, a sledge hammer, and a counter top that I can beat to smithereens. Our neighbor said that when he had his kitchen counters replaced, the contractor wanted $1,000 to remove the old one. So we're going to try to do that ourselves. Another neighbor did it quite successfully, at about 11:30 p.m. one Tuesday night a few years ago. We know this, because they kept us awake with the smashing and banging, until about 1 a.m.!! But that's okay, because if they can do it, we can do it!! (the demolishing, not the disturbing of the peace!) What we lack in knowledge or finesse, we more than make up for with willingness and effort!

Today was Valentine's Day. I took a hint from Confessions of a Pioneer Woman's blog, and decided to try her garlic mashed potatoes, rubbed pan-fried steak, and chocolate pie, for Mr. B.

Roasting the garlic was so absolutely simple......the smell of garlic hung in the air and oh my, it was mouthwatering. I got it roasted this morning and set aside to add to the potatoes later in the evening.

The chocolate pie? To die for. Here's a picture of my finished masterpiece.















While I was whipping potatoes and searing that steak tonight? Mr. B. had his dessert first!! Hey, as they say, "life is uncertain - eat dessert first!"

I gave making a homemade card a try - here's the result of my attempt:




















And the inside......




















Mr. B. gave me my favorite sugar-free candies, and a card, with fat quarters in disguise inside!!!!















Well, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the "green", anyway!! To the quilt store I shall go!!

I hope everyone had a day steeped in chocolate and filled with happy memories that were made.










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWWWW! You guys are so sweet! My Valentine's Day was spent on the road to TN with Tim to make customer calls! At least I did get a soup/sandwich out of it!! Your rehab project looks awesome! I know your completed kitchen will be the envy of all who see it (me too). Hope you get some gorgeous fat quarters with that green! Love and hugs from the Charcoal Lambie

Yvette said...

Ooooh, I can't wait to see what you pick up at the quilt shop with all that cash. Better yet, save it for July and you will have no problem parting with it on the Shop Hop.