Monday, October 16, 2006

New Yarn Swift!

While in Cody, I showed Dad a few pictures of an item called a yarn swift. I've been ordering yarn from a few interesting sites on the internet, and most of the time, they arrive in a hank, which needs to be wound into a ball......

A swift can be a fairly simple item, which holds the yarn for you while you wind it, eliminating the need for a cooperative husband or child to stand there holding the huge loops of yarn for you while you wind.....

Simple, except it was way beyond my capabilities to make one, with smooth spinning mechanism, adjustable pegs, etc.....and the price of the ones I found on line was a bit prohibitive.

When I showed Dad the pictures, I could almost see the wheels turning inside his mind. He loves to work out a puzzle like this, and for the next day, he would frequently scribble numbers and small pictures on paper as he turned the whole thing over in his mind. Several trips were made to his friendly Ace store (where everyone knows him and greets him by name - generally with a hug if its a female employee!) and he got a few small items which would ensure the spinning would be smooth and even.....

He had some beautiful black walnut pieces in his wood shop and every now and then, he would disappear into the wood shop and "make sawdust" as he called it......

He emerged one day with not one, but TWO, beautiful yarn swifts! (I had mentioned I had a wonderful friend, Deborah, who also knits and is going through a rough time with a mastectomy and chemo, etc, and he thought she might enjoy one also!! Shhh! I hope she's not reading this because it will take me a bit of time to get the clear coat on, and send it to her.....I'm notorious for taking WAY too long to finish things.....example: Karene's love blanky! http://joy-denise.blogspot.com/2006/08/it-isnt-ufo-it-is-fo.html )

Never the less, how cool is this!!!
















All I have to do is put the clear coat of some sort on the walnut to protect it and show the beautiful finish of the wood and its good to go!! We wound yarn til we ran out of yarn to wind! Teehee! I love it!

No comments: