Thursday, March 19, 2009

By popular request

Seems the daughters have fond memories of my peanut butter granola. Seems they are both are on a vegan kick. Seems that, thank heavens, this recipe is both vegan, if I use a margarine with no milk derivatives such as the dreaded sodium caseinate (one of the principle proteins of cows' milk), and high fiber, if I use steel cut or thick cut healthy oats. It is also inexpensive.

Notice I did not say low calorie, but, ah, a minor technicality.

Laurie could use help affording to eat, in her new place. Karen likes it to take for a snack at her desk or in the car to avoid unhealthy purchases while out and about. Great finger food, but also good in a bowl with soy milk over it!


I wonder if it could be pressed into granola bar shapes, but will not try that today, because I have another granola bar recipe to try instead. Anyway, here's the recipe in case anyone is interested in avoiding the high price of decent granola at the store.

Peanut Butter Granola

6 tablespoons margarine
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup light karo syrup *
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt (I have forgotten - no difference noted)
9 cups steel cut or thick cut oats
1-1/2 cups raisins (optional and we don't)

* can use honey, but we thought it changed the flavor unfavorably)

Begin by melting margarine and peanut butter in saucepan. Add syrup, and when all is melted (over low heat) and smoothly mixed, stir in vanilla, and salt if desired. Put oats in large mixing bowl (read that: huge). Pour peanut butter mixture over all and stir with spatula until oats are evenly coated. Spread over 2 large flat cookie sheets. Bake each sheet for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. I ended up turning my granola and baking for 2 minutes more... but my oven is ancient and unpredictable (read that: soon to be replaced). The granola will still be sticky and moist when you take it out of the oven. Let it cool on the pan you baked it on. Magically, it will crisp up as it cools. Store in tightly sealed container. SO GOOD.













Note to self: Must try to avoid eating 1/2 cup in tiny tastes throughout the baking process.....


P.S. I used healthy oats, but I keep them in my old Quaker Quick Oats tin...cos its cute!

No comments: