Friday, April 25, 2008

Frugal Friday

I dug out my old yogurt maker last Friday, to see if it still worked. It worked so well, that I ebayed for another one, and now I have the ability to make 10 6-8 ounce plain yogurts at a time.

I'm loving it. And Karen likes it as well as the one she pays about a dollar apiece for at her Henry's Market.....

Just a bit over a half gallon of milk, heated briefly to 180 degrees, cooled until a clean pinkie can be inserted without screaming.....(actually, til its lukewarm!)















Add a few tablespoons of your last batch of yogurt to provide the "starter". (I used a few tablespoons of a store-bought plain yogurt the first time....just to get things started. I have read that every now and then I will need to buy another one and restart things....so I'll keep my eyes open for a brand that is on sale when the time comes.)


Pour into the containers, cap, and ignore for 8-10 hours. The longer, the more tart the flavor.
















Yum! 10 containers for approximately $2.00 (if you get your milk by the gallon, and buy the house brand). I eat mine plain, to avoid spiking my blood sugar. I'm sure if I were exercising sufficiently, I could stir in any of the berries (strawberries, raspberries, etc,) and handle the additional few carbs just fine. Karen puts a tablespoon or two of fruit preserves in hers. We're keeping an eye out for coupons for the "all fruit, no sugar" type of preserves for her.


And there ain't nuthin' in my yogurt, but yogurt. No additives or preservatives, no added sugar.....it's just healthy and frugal!

2 comments:

Yvette said...

I eat plain yogurt every day. I hate to tell you how much I pay for it. Who knew you could make your own?

Anonymous said...

Now I need to find one on ebay...I send some every day to the two college commuters!! Where do you get the little containers?