Thursday, July 06, 2006

Inchworms and UFOs

I love plants and flowers. I crave a beautiful, well maintained, flowering yard, with lots of birds and butterflies......

However, I haven't got a green thumb anywhere. Sigh. (Or the money for a gardner with knowledge!)

Not only that, but nature conspires against me. Last time I tried to grow tomatoes, I got a bumper crop of half eaten tomatoes and a family of funky looking humongus worms that entertained us. It was better than TV. The tomato plant grew so well it plastered itself against the kitchen window....we could wash dishes and watch the destruction of the tomatoes all at the same time....

Tonight I decided to repot two sage plants I bought. I received some rosemary from my friend Deborah before she moved and I've enjoyed it so much I thought I'd expand my horizons a bit.....I bought some German oregano which is growing well, and I just got the sage a week ago. I grabbed the two little plants (which I thought in passing this morning looked a bit sad).....and headed out to the back porch....

I was horrified to find that some of the leaves had little teensy holes in them.....and I soon found two culprits..... the teensy holes were made by two teensy inchworms....



I have to say, he's cute......but he's evil in disguise, I'm sure!
Here's another shot of him......



That's him, right beside that nickle....and the well-chomped sage leaf!! One of about 15 leaves I had to cut off, because they were full of holes.....
Grrrrr!

UFO (unfinished object) #15 Progress Report:


It is now 13 inches long.......this is a simple shawl, will be 60-65 inches long when done.....just for throwing over shoulders when its nippy and easy to shrug out of when driving......I'm currently suffering from the delusion that it will actually get cold enough here to use this. Someday, I would like to have enough time to make these regularly, for donation to battered women's shelters. You can read about this project here:

http://www.shawlministry.com/

I thought I would practice by making one for myself first, and see if it was doable. A suggested pattern may be found here:

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-prayerShawl.html

There are lots of possibilities.....I wonder, however, if I wouldn't be able to make/accomplish more by making my quilted "love blankies" in smaller form.....for the moms to snuggle with their kids in their safe places, once they make it to a shelter for women, etc.

Enough random thoughts for today. Work calls.

No comments: