I basically have no excuse to shop until 2013. (Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone!)
Along the way, I found this, the oldest UFO. And it's not even mine!
I don't recall where it came from. I think it might have been wadded up in a bin of old scraps someone gave me about three years ago.
I was intrigued when I found it, and I spent some time arranging it on the floor until all the half stars seemed to match.
I think there are some of those dreaded "Y" seams involved in the completion of this quilt (shudder). At a bare minimum, I need to take apart the extra little chunk of quilt seen here, iron the pieces, and make a template for the triangles.
It looks like there is a section of just white triangles used in areas along the edge to finish it. I think I'll be removing some half stars from the bottom row, and replacing them with the white triangle portions, to give me a bottom row that resembles that top row's design.
After that, I guess I will experiment with cutting some larger triangles and try "Y" seams at the end of the rows, all around the quilt. A narrow white border might be nice to float the whole inner portion of the quilt. Then, I think I will get a nice bright navy to use for a final wider border. And maybe a deep red for the binding?
I don't have any of the white that was used here.... I wonder how hard it will be to find something that matches. It's just a plain white - no design at all. Will take a portion to the store and cross my fingers! It certainly won't take more than 3/4 yard to finish this.
I think I'd like to try to finish this one, for Michael. He loves patriotic colors and designs, and of course, he loves quilts....
While cleaning the sewing room tonight, I also unearthed pile after pile of scraps of material. I filled another entire bin with good sized scraps. So I think there is a string quilt, or five, in my future! I've wanted to try this technique for quite a while and that bin of scraps gives me a perfect excuse!
All of our blankets are getting kind of worn and tired..... so I have a goal to replace them with quilts I make!