Monday, March 12, 2007

More pix!

Its mostly over, 80% contained today....went up to my favorite hike at the Anaheim Hills reservoir yesterday, and took pix of the water copters and then went lookie-looing at the fire....

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/quiltnmt@sbcglobal.net/albums/

Behind our neighborhood, there is an equestrian trail and we walked it and got to watch the firemen do their thing.....Those guys are so great! They were nailing it with incredible accuracy from above with water and flame retardant, and on the ground, just beating it back...

We watched them create a line of fire retardant right in front of us, several hundred yards out, and then watched the fire roar up to it - big tall flames......all across the canyon dozens of orange dots (the firefighters) were stationed, poised.....and it raced up to that line......and pretty much fizzled into lots of smoke and almost no flames!

Behind us on the other side of the trail were the homeowners who had been watching with a lot more vested interest in the outcome! If I had been them, I'd have been cheering at the top of my lungs......

We lost two houses in Anaheim Hills (and a couple of out buildings, I believe). Michael thinks they were exactly where we were looking earlier in the day. He thinks he's delivered to one of the houses - a really nice guy with dogs (and two little children, but it was the dogs that he spent quite a bit of time talking to, and their owner!) the day he delivered to their house.....So sad.....

I truly feel that its all "stuff" and if I made it out with my family, I'd be so grateful, but it would be devastating, all the same!

Enough rambling.....back to work for me.

No comments: