Thursday, June 09, 2011

Learning Curves....

I got my last two blocks done on my current row of my Farmer's Wife quilt....






























Then I put the Farmer's Wife stuff into a drawer, and pulled out my Sylvia's Bridal Quilt. I am going to conquer row G.



First up was G-1, a block that the book did not give me a foundation paper piecing pattern for. No way was I going to tackle this one with just bits of fabric.... there were bias seams involved and... it was 'Y-Seam Hell' to boot! "Y-seam" and "six-inch block" should not be used in the same sentence, don't you agree?














I used the EQ program and tried to make my own foundation paper. There was a bit of a learning curve getting the finished paper piecing patterns to print. Wasn't a scaling issue - it was something else weird on my computer and once I deleted a few programs (hope they weren't important!), things printed just fine (I thought). Turns out it was a bit on the small size. I lost a half inch approximately, all around.....

So I slapped on thin borders and put it in the "finished" bag. No way was I going to redo that block!

On to G-2!!

5 comments:

Stray Stitches said...

Your block is beautiful!! Love the colors you used. And adding the this borders did not distract from the beauty in the least.

Yvette said...

Woo hoo! So glad you are all caught up on FW. I need to see where Ellen is so I can assign the next blocks.

Your G1 is fantastic!!!! I sure hope Row H is much kinder to us.

karenfae said...

Yvette sent me here to see your blocks too, I am just starting my FW but I will be hand piecing mine.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Snoodles said...

Gorgeous blocks! Wow! I can't believe all those lil Y seams, and you have them spot on! Whooo hooo!
Love ya, sis!
Jacque

Karene said...

Beautiful block !!! You know, those just happen to be my colors...hint, hint !!! Great job!!!