Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Not Enough Time












My newest addiction. I got the Knifty Knitter round loom set. I'm doomed. I want to make things by the gazillion. But I will restrain myself. This little gizmo is great for taking along when you want to not have to worry about sticking someone with four double pointed needles, or dropping stitches.....I will definitely work on a hat while flying to and from Wyoming in a few weeks. I'm interested in making a few items from time to time, saving them up to send in a box for the yearly Dulaan project....Here's a link to the project....
http://www.fireprojects.org/dulaan.htm

I'm rediscovering how much fun it is to knit, and my friend Deborah keeps sending me links for new yarn, each more beautiful than the last.....sheesh. I want them all. I commented to her today, even if I could retire right now, there is Not. Enough. Time. (She agreed.....and she's semi-retired already.....there's just not enough hours to do all that we want to do that is creative and crafty and fills that need in us to make something useful and beautiful, all in one....)

But here's my first hat - whipped up in one and a half hours total time.....the last hat I knitted for Karen on double pointed needles took me hours and hours and hours and even a tad of creative cursing.....this is SO much more fun.....now I'm contemplating ordering the rectangular looms too......so I can make scarves for the Dulaan project that match a few of the hats......

I'm working on the adult size now (for Karen) since I have a ton of that yarn and she likes the colors.......Then will switch back to child size and finish up my six skeins - making good use of them!











My quilting class with Karene continues, and my quilt continues.....though not as quickly as I would like....(I know, don't comment about the rabbit trail I went down named Knifty Knitter.....) I have made 18 of the blocks for the double Irish chain.....This week I'm starting a set of different blocks that work with the first 18, to continue the pattern. Its so much fun to see how the Eleanor Burns pattern/style of constructing this quilt makes it happen so easily!

I've tried several times to load a picture of one of the 18 squares.....but Blogger is not cooperating.....Another time perhaps....Back to work for me!

3 comments:

Karene said...

Wow, my friend...looks like something has replaced quilting !!! I think because it's much faster for you and it fulfills the "immediate gratification" in us. Oh, well....I think the hat is really cute and I'm glad you're enjoying your knitting. Thanks for getting me into quilting !!! I didn't really know how much I missed having a hobby until I started that class.....love ya, Karene

Joy said...

Sigh. It hasn't replaced it....but you're right about how fast it is. I am still working on my quilt, never fear.....and I have my next one planned, and the next....and the next.....

Like I said...."Not Enough Time...!"

Karene said...

why, sigh ???? I think it's great that you love knitting !!! I'm not a knitter at all.